Thursday, July 03, 2008

What Do I Want?

So. I've been writing in this blog now for about 2 years, seriously for 1 year. My posts range form serious to downright silly and I can't decide if that's a good thing or not. On the one hand, I want to discuss/document my art, which means serious posts, and on the other hand, I want to express myself, which means funny and silly - that's how I roll.

Is there a downside to mixing it up and posting regardless of my mood? Or, if people are looking here to learn about my artistic process, am I shooting myself in the business foot by including personal reflections? Please let me know what you think.

What do you out there try to do with your blogs? Do you use it for a single purpose, or is it an online journal for everyday happenings?

3 comments:

Kathryn Costa said...

Dear Shibori Girl,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments on my blog. I too am excited to meet you and so many other talented women.

You pose a question that I've been thinking about. My blog is only a few months old. I'm not in a place where I'm looking to sell anything but it is a place where I post art and discuss it. After playing at Vanessa's tea party, I found a playfulness in me that I haven't had in a while and I'm interested in exploring a creative approach to my blog. I'm looking at publishing blog features on different days. For example, on Mondays, my goal is to post my "dry sink vignette." View my blog and you'll see how different that is than my digital journal entries on Thursdays. In a recent email newsletter the artist started changing her photo in it from a formal shot to one which shows her with someone or somewhere. It personalized it. I really like how in this less formal medium, she took the chance to show more of herself, which I found interesting. I hope this uber long comment is okay. I welcome continuing the dialogue with you.

Kathryn Costa said...

Hi Kate,

A little mystery is always good. I selected Mondays for my committed post date as it gives me all weekend to get to it. That particular post is less intimidating to me than expecting that I will create artwork every time. For the dry sink vignette various objects become a springboard for comments. A show and tell spot. I look forward to seeing how your blog style evolves.

Oh, I've been meaning to tell you that your jewelry is gorgeous. I will think of you when I'm looking for a gift.

All the best,
Kathryn

marbleMan said...

Blogger lets you sign up for multiple blogs, each one with it's own personality (design template) that matches the attitudes therein.