Friday, January 16, 2009

What's Cooking Sunday/Salmon Cakes

Because One World One Heart is scheduled for Monday, this week I decided to post What's Cooking Sunday early. I don't want the post to get lost in all the traffic we're going to have next week.

My recipe for salmon cakes, is an adaptation of an old Weight Watchers recipe for Maryland Crab Cakes. I love crab, but who can afford it? One day I had some leftover cooked salmon fillets in the fridge and decided to use it in this recipe. It was fantastic. Now, when Marble Man sees salmon in the meat drawer, he does a little happy dance 'cuz he knows these cakes are in his future.



Salmon Cakes
Makes 4 servings

1 pound salmon, cooked and flaked
1 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp canola oil
3 oz bread crumbs (I used Italian seasoned)
1/4 C low fat or skim milk
2 T + 2 tsp reduced calorie mayonnaise
2 T fresh parsley, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
3 T all-purpose flour
1 T+1 tsp reduced calorie tub margarine (I use Smart Balance)
2 1/2 C mixed green lettuce leaves

In skillet, combine onion, garlic, and oil. Sautee until translucent.

In large bowl, combine salmon, onion mixture, bread crumbs, milk, mayonnaise, parsley, salt, and white pepper. With moistened hands, form into 8 small patties. Refrigerate 1 hour.

On a shallow plate, spread flour. Lightly dust each cake on both sides - give them a little spanking to shake off the excess.

In large skillet, melt margarine over medium heat. Cook cakes 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden and crisp. Line serving plate with greens and arrange cakes on top.

The nutritional information I have is for the original crab recipe.

Each serving (2 cakes):
257 calories
27 grams protein
8 grams fat
19 grams carbohydrate
800 mgs sodium
118 mgs cholesterol
1 gram fiber

12 comments:

3rdEyeMuse said...

oh yeah, I'd be doing the happy dance, too! :)

MONDAY?!? why was I thinking I still had a bit more time ... EEEK!

Cecile/DreamCreateRepeat said...

Wow! That sounds yummy! We have salmon once a week without fail. Of course, my blog followers will not be surprised to hear that I use a frozen wild caught, low sodium, individual portioned product from Costco that everyone loves. ; ) This doesn't sound too tough to make, though, so I'll give it a try!

lori vliegen said...

boy, you gotta love a recipe that's not only good for you, but easy, too! this one looks like a winner! :)

p.s. a forecast of 8 degrees? bundle up, sweet gal!

T.Allen said...

OWOH sounds awesome...I hope you make many new e-friends!

Even in my pescetarian days, salmon and I just couldn't make our relationship work, no matter how much everyone else enjoyed it. I may try this recipe for the Favorite Guy though...y'know that red hearts and cupid day is coming up soon.

somepinkflowers said...

whoa

i had forgotten about these.

:-)


my mom use to make these.
yummy.

{{ i bet eating salmon
is good for the bones in your feet,
but
i could be wrong }}

Terri Pezzullo - Handmade said...

Yum sounds good! My husband happens to have some samples of samon in the fridge! Thanks again for a great recipe!

High Desert Diva said...

Oh man....I love salmon cakes!

rochambeau said...

Looks yum Shibori GIrl!!
When I was little we had Salmon cakes.
I like them.
Hope your foot is feeling better today!!

xox
Constance

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Excellent!


~ Gabriela ~

Anonymous said...

Well, it sounds like this one was a hit!

Stay tuned for future posts...

xoxo,

Kate

Anonymous said...

I LOOVE Salmon cakes to pieces!!! I make them often, and want one now!! I'll trade you one for a slice of quiche???

Your recipe is sooo much easier to understand that mine! I am so complicated sometimes ;) ;)

xoxo

Unknown said...

Hi Kate, thank you for your comment on my giveaway! The reason I am back, of course, is the fact that you shared with me that you tat! OMGosh! That is so TAT-ally cool (sorry, couldn't resist, ugh)!
Good luck to you! I am adding you to my google reader in hopes that you will share some of your tatting skill on this blog sometime! I didn't want to comment on the same blog post to be fair for the giveaway or seem like I was trying to be greedy, although I WOULD LOVE all the chances possible to win either gift, LOL! Thanks again! :)

((HUGS)) to you, fellow tatter!