Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Dusting Off My Sewing Skills

Ever since my hand injury four years ago, I put my sewing machine away. It physically hurt to go through the various stages of garment construction, between the scissors hitting my damaged thumb joint, and the tennis elbow that still plagues me today. Then there was the mental hurt that I was no longer able to do something I've enjoyed since I was 12 years old.

Luckily, I found something else I'm good at - and enjoy immensely. I've been narrowly focused on beadwork, and after my last project, my brain is tired! My last sewing project was a handbag I made from a Sweetbriar Studio pattern. After so many years of service, the bag is pretty sad looking now. Time to make another!


I already had this pattern on my shelf, and my studio closet is full of cotton fabrics in a variety of colors and shibori patterns. Sounds like a project-in-the-making, right? Yes indeedy. I took my time making the bag, which was a novelty for me. I used to sew under deadlines: rush, rush rush...

I love the way the bag turned out. The pattern called for a single patch pocket inside, which was to be divided into two tall and skinny pockets. But I have obsessive tendencies - I need MORE POCKETS! I added three more, and now everything is in it's own place. Perfect!


Nice to know I still have some skills, though they are a bit rusty.

10 comments:

lori vliegen said...

your new bag is fabulous......LOVE all of those pockets!! i'm so glad that you decided to get that sewing machine back out!! :))

Snap said...

Beautiful. I love the colors ...some of my favorites and I'm with you ... can never have too many pockets!

Fete et Fleur said...

Is there nothing you can't do? You can paint, draw, produce amazingly beautiful handmade jewelry, and now this gorgeous bag. I'm excited for you that you were able to get this done. It truly is lovely!

Hugs!
Nancy

Christie Minchew said...

I'm so glad you think my pattern is "FAB"...I think your purse is UBER FAB!! That looks so great with your shibori fabrics, Kate. Love it. and thanks mucho for the post attribution :) XO.

Faded Plains said...

Cooking, beading and sewing...is there anything you can't do :o)

Gabriela said...

Hello Kate,

Dusting your sewing skills?
Are you kidding me? :O)

This bag looks awesome!


~ Gabriela ~

Kate Tracton said...

Haha, Andrea - that's me: Domestic Goddess! :D

Rhonda Roo said...

Rusty indeed! Bah! Just lookit that lovely creation, designed for a women who covets pockettsssss oh yes, you know your stuff.
Lovely!
XOXOXOXO

SewWhatsNew said...

Kate,
It was worth waiting to get your sewing machine out. The bag is beautiful. All those pockets are a dream. Love it.

Isabel said...

You amaze me...is there anything you can't do??? My sewing machine laughs at my sewing attemps...sigh...if only I could channel some Shibori Girl ;)