Monday, March 08, 2010

Spring Fever Polymer Clay Focal Beads

Watch out folks... I've got it bad: Spring Fever. The air is warming, green shoots are poking up, and I'm itching to see leaves and flowers.



After getting our tax prep done, watching the Olympics, and other life stuff, I went to my studio and put away the dull Winter-colored clay - time to bring out the bright greens, purples, and eye-popping neons. The first kaleidoscope cane I made was so vibrant, it was as if the circus came to town and set up the Big Top in my workroom:



This was SO bright, it sorely tested my theory that it's impossible to make an ugly kaleidoscope. I divided it four times before I stopped feeling some revulsion toward it. I'm delighted with the final result!

In an effort to use the clay pieces I'm creating, I'd recently figured out what I wanted to do with this, my first bead. I put together this fun-and-funky, chunky necklace.


You can find it listed for sale in my Etsy shop.

This necklace was such fun to make, I wanted focal beads for more of these great necklaces. I spent the weekend experimenting with flower canes and I'm seriously loving the way the surrounding translucent clay disappears into the background!


Lavender oval bead 1.5" x .75"


Oval bead "Rousseau" 1.5" x .75"

I love the layering effect the clay offers here:


Polymer clay bead "Leaf Pod" 1.5" x 1.25"

I'm still thinking on how to use these new beauties. I'll post the final pieces with pix.


copyright 2010 Shibori Girl

12 comments:

Christie Minchew said...

Wowee KaZOWee! Can't wait to see your creations in person - see you Wednesday. In the meantime, just one question: Are you experimenting again with mind-altering candy? Hmmmm?!

Anonymous said...

Lovely creations...beautiful spring colors! Awesome cane work!

Gabriela said...

Hello Kate,

Spectacular!



~ Gabriela ~

Eva Maria Keiser said...

Stunning work and colors!

DVArtist said...

Yep I see spring in all of the pieces. I especially like the leaf pods.

Nicole/Beadwright

LW said...

so pretty, I love the leaf pod.

I am waiting for spring fever to hit...The snow is almost gone...
but snow in March is so common here that I can only hope.

Louise

Unknown said...

The layered beads are stunning!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

Great focal beads! I couldn't help but LOL when I read the part about testing the no such thing as ugly kaleidoscope canes theory! Made a few myself! Amazing how once they are reduced, how fun they can be.

Spring has sprung around here. A month earlier than normal. The weather that caused all the snow in the east was responsible for pushing the warmth up here to Vancouver. Daffodils and even tulips are already blooming and people are already mowing lawns. We're crossing our fingers we don't get a cold snap and freeze off all the buds!

Robin said...

I love the colors on the Rousseau, and that spring kaleidoscope really does look like just that - a complete riot of color. I'm intrigued to see where it will go from here.

rochambeau said...

Dear Kate,
You have taken PMC bead work to a new level! It is exciting to see!!
Your creativity always delights.
Thank you!
xox
Constance

lori vliegen said...

yes, by all means.....c'mon spring!!! especially since you'll be treating us to more of these fabulously colorful beads!! and eeeee-gads, those layered leaf beads are gor-geous, girlfriend!!!! keep on havin' fun! xox, :))

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

wow, you do beauuutiful work!

♥ Maria-Thérèse blog.afiori.com