Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Continuing the Studio Magic

Pumped up from last week's success, I continued with bead embroidery to finish a project planned long ago: one of my polymer clay cabachons from the "faux rock" series made this pretty pin.


I've been itching to add some fringe to a piece since learning bead embroidery, but up until this moment, the pieces have been complete without added fringe. This new pin was fine without it, but adding the fringe gave it a flirty quality that I like a lot. You can find more information about the pin in my Etsy shop listing.

I haven't really done much in the way of polymer clay work since returning home from vacation. To get my feet wet, I made a project just for me:


Making holes in clay can be a tricky business. If you do it while the clay is uncured, you risk distorting the shape as the needle tool pushes through the project. But, if you drill holes after you bake the piece, you risk breakage. Online research suggested I use hand drills. So, off I toddled to Lowe's to buy a set of drill bits. I made some handles from scrap clay decorated with cane slices. Now I can make holes easily in a controlled manner.
~~~
In the studio, Al Stewart's on the stereo - the stuff he's been playing while on tour with Dave Nachmanoff is wonderful. (Nachmnoff's guitar playing is some of the best I've ever heard.)

It's time to start making more of what sold during our trip. The leaf pod necklaces were very popular. These four are currently listed in my shop:



I have a pretty new pile of smaller leaf pods to use this week. I do enjoy making these beads! Many Thanks to Zuda Gay Pease for her short tutorial.



My newest clay pendants were also a huge hit. I've got three made and should have them listed early next week.




As you know, there's always something going on in my studio. Earrings are up next. Stay tuned...

copyright 2010 Shibori Girl

6 comments:

T.Allen said...

The leaf pod necklaces are gorgeous! I really should start wearing jewelry, y'know. :D

lori vliegen said...

your studio is buzzing with all kinds of fabulous projects!! i love that flirty bead trim, and your leaf pods are delicious!! of course, i'm loving your nifty drill bits.....gorgeously decorated!! don't be surprised is someone doesn't want to buy one of those, too!! :))

Bonnie Kreger at B-LEE KREATIONS said...

Kate, your pendants are awesome and I love the drills you did. Mine are boring compared to yours. LOL.
The beading on your cab is exquisite. I just took a class on that. I sent your blog to all my friends for them to see your beautiful work.

Christie Minchew said...

Ok, now I have a NEW favorite: your screwdriver handles! They are terrific! Love, love. Of course, everything is terrific, but for some reason, those really rang my chimes :). Have I told you that you are one of the most prolific creators I know? Sheesh, you're making the rest of us look bad!

Robin said...

Such gorgeous pieces, what a talent you have.

PS The window photo on my blog was indeed a trompe l'oueil. It's a vinyl print covering the window hole while the building awaits renovation. Many of the site's building's have them, and each is unique and amazing in its own right.

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

Gabriela said...

Hello Kate,

Every time I visit a new wonderful design, a new surprise. Love them!


~ Gabriela ~