Monday, August 30, 2010

I'm In A Time Out...

I'm in a STUDIO time out, that is. I don't want to dwell too much on yet another problem, so I'll just say that my back went out again and my leg and foot went numb, too. My doctor told me to get comfortable and wait it out, that as long as the numbness comes, and then goes, he's not too worried. If it goes numb and stays that way, we'll be taking x-rays and talking to surgeons. So, I'm out of my studio chair, parked on the sofa, and waiting for this to heal up on its own.

I realized this past week that I've been too focused on work recently. I haven't taken time for myself. I've read a new fluffy Summer Beach Book. If you haven't discovered Wendy Wax's hilariously funny books, I can recommend her latest: The Accidental Bestseller. My all-time favorite of hers, though, is Leave It To Cleavage: An Uplifting Tale. The heroine of that book owns a bra factory and all I can tell you is that in the first pages of the book she finds a photo of her husband wearing custom-made ladies underwear and in the picture he has a woman's hand on his butt. Very funny.



While I'm mostly immobile, I have been doing some beading to keep myself busy. A gorgeous Rosetta jasper cabachon is at the center of this new bead embroidered collar. I hope to have this finished by the end of this week.



Meanwhile, you can find me here on the sofa with a tv remote in my hand...

copyright 2010 Shibori Girl

7 comments:

Snap said...

Oh, Kate. I feel your pain, literally and figuratively. I've had the surgery ... 7 years ago and did really well, but getting older doesn't help and now the other leg numbs up. Hang in there and treat yourself well.

Hugs ---

(PS ... beautiful beading/necklace)

Robin said...

That sounds miserable, being barred from the studio as much as the pain. I hope it eases up quickly. At least the beading will give you a creative outlet in the meantime. (Or is it just me that gets really cranky without the chance to create?)

Feel better soon!

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

T.Allen said...

So sorry to read this, Kate. I hope you're mobile soon. Is it sciatica? Ugh, I've luckily never had to deal with back pain, but I've watched my husband suffer and it looks pretty awful. (Hugs-not too tight, of course)

Alice Stroppel said...

I'm so sorry, I know exactly what you are going through. Get better soon.

rochambeau said...

I'm sorry!! Feel better SOON! Your necklace is just a sublime color mix. So soft and gentle. Thank you for the book reviews too!!!!
xox
Constance

lori vliegen said...

well, if you've gotta be immobile, at least your beads are there to keep you company (and this new collar is proof positive that your time is being well-spent! gorgeous!)!! i'm sorry to hear that your back is giving you fits again.....i hope you're back in your studio feeling great and playing with polymer clay again very soon!!! big hugs....xox

Christie Minchew said...

Oh rats! It sounds worse than when we were together for lunch. I hope you heal soon...and thoroughly! Meanwhile, your creativity doesn't seem to have suffered. Very pretty necklace :).