Monday, December 15, 2008

making gifts

Wow. That was a busy weekend! This year, in lieu of actual tangible gifts, we thought we'd make donations in family members' names to their favorite charities. But, as I wrote out the cards stating the various gifts made, I thought about how the "fun factor" of Christmas would be missing.

So, I spent the weekend finishing some gifts to give as well. Who doesn't love to discover a mysteriously shaped package under the tree with their name on it? I dug out this wonderful book my mother gave me several years ago. I knew I'd use it someday, and that time arrived this week. The projects use a basic salt dough (2 C all purpose flour, 1 C table salt, 1/2 - 1 C warm water), which is kneaded about 10 minutes, shaped, then baked a LONG time - anywhere from 4 - 12 hours. I made several pieces, then madly painted and varnished this weekend to get them in the post today. Mission accomplished!

Because I put my time into making the gifts, I skimped on the wrapping - nothing amazing this time around. Next year, I'll plan better so I have time to do both.

My favorite piece so far: a 9" wreath with little fruits that are about 3/4" wide. So cute (don't worry, the recipient doesn't read this blog so I'm not spoiling the surprise).



I'm completely hooked on this sculpture medium. The trick will be to do it only occasionally so it stays a hobby. My habit, when I learn something new and I really enjoy it, is to do it obsessively, which then sucks all the fun out of it. Therefore, salt dough sculpture is my new "carrot" for getting unpleasant jobs finished - such as the (dreaded) year-end inventory.

5 comments:

Fete et Fleur said...

I've never seen salt dough look more elegant! Only you could accomplish this. It's wonderful!

Nancy

rochambeau said...

Oh so beautiful!
Looks great Kate! A gift made of love!

xox
Constance

somepinkflowers said...

oh, well done, missy!

beautiful!
hey,
i just had to laugh at this part ---->
The trick will be to do it only occasionally so it stays a hobby. My habit when I learn something new and I really enjoy it, is to do it obsessively, which then sucks all the fun out of it.<----


that is so me!
AND I HATE WHEN I DO THAT.

but i do not want to miss a thing!
i want to try everything
and my Special Work Room
gets overwhelmed
with art and craft
bits and parts.

help!
but now i know i am not alone.....

Nosideup said...

I'm still figuring out when to make mine!
Best wishes for the season!

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

Oh that wonderful recipe!!!!! How fabulous Miss Kate!!

ps: looove your banner and your blog colors, so warm and festive ;) and elegant! xoxo

You always make such great color choices!!