Sunday, December 28, 2008

Happy, Quiet Holidays

Many thanks to all of you who have wished me feeling better - I am... MUCH better. I still honk like a goose, and have a most unladylike cough but, for the most part, I'm on the mend. And I give all the credit to Marble Man's "special" blend of tea. *wink*

Christmas was very quiet, just Marble Man, me, and the dog. We could barely wait for 12:01 AM to arrive Christmas morning when we began to tear into our presents. The dog was a BIG help there - he just can't stand to see a present all wrapped up. He's gotta tear a corner off the paper on each gift. Everyone was so thoughtful - we thank all of you. One of my favorite gifts came from my Mom, who proved, once again, that she's a great listener!

In 1991, Marble Man and I went to our local museum to view an Alphonse Mucha exhibit.


"Self Portrait"

Oh, how I adore the man's work! (Find more about him here.) When I told Mom about the exhibit, she filed it away in that steel trap she calls a brain. Lo these many years later, imagine my surprise when I opened one of her gifts to find a calendar featuring some of Mucha's pieces. I get to enjoy that all year long!

Mucha is famous for his Art Nouveau posters


"Job"

and lithographs


"Reverie"


"The Moon"

but he was also a gifted jewelry designer,



sculptor,


"La Nature"

and painter.


"Maruska"

I don't make New Year's Resolutions because I rarely keep them past the first week, but this is one I'll actively pursue: I'm going to add more beauty to my life each day. I'll look in the oddest of places for small joys, I'll find them, and hold them close. And I'll start by looking at my closet door each morning...

Happy New Year, Dear Friends!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Kate,

Love Art Nouveau!

I will be showing what Santa "dropped" at my studio soon...

~ Gabriela ~

T.Allen said...

I'm happy to hear you're feeling better and that mom remembered the special gift on your "list".

After looking at the closet, look in the mirror. If I do nothing else for 2009 I'm going to love and accept myself and do what I can to see that those around me are in on it too.

Peace.

lori vliegen said...

so glad you're feeling better, kate! but now that you're feeling better, will you still have a valid excuse to continue drinking marble man's special tea? :)

it sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! your new calendar looks beautiful...enjoy!

happy new year!

Kathryn Costa said...

What a lovely gift from your mum. Finding beauty in our every day lives is something we both will share this year. I'm happy to hear that you are on the mend and that marble man was so good to you.

Cecile/DreamCreateRepeat said...

Just came visiting from Tea and Honey Bread....love the art (I recognize the art but not the name, so thank you!) and glad you are feeling better. But here's the REAL question:

Will you post the recipe for the special tea?!

Stop by and visit...

Anonymous said...

Cecile,

I tried to visit but got a screen from Blogger saying that "profile is not available".

I think for me to see your blog, you need to go to your profile and click the square next to "share my profile".

I'll try again soon...

Thanks for coming over to play!

Kate

Cecile/DreamCreateRepeat said...

Hi, Cecile here! Yes, I'm dreamcreaterepeat...glad you could find me. ; )

And thanks for the comment; now I won't have to worry that I'm the only person who worries too much!

High Desert Diva said...

Wonderful gift. I didn't realize he did jewelry too. So interesting, the things I learn blogging...

Your New Years resolution is perfect!

3rdEyeMuse said...

oh yeah, that is one good mama! I have always loved his Art Nouveau posters. :)

wishing you great success with your resolution!