It's taken me three intense weeks to complete my competition piece. During this time I've learned a tremendous amount about how to plan, and execute, a design. I've mentioned before that I don't like to start with a plan. I like the element of surprise at the end, where I look at the final results of my labors and say, "Well, I didn't see THAT coming!".
In this case, however, stakes are high, and I wanted to be sure of my results. The careful planning paid off, Big Time.
Even Marble Man looked at it and said it was amazing, and the best piece I've done to date. High praise, indeed.
With this project, I used up a significant portion of my bead stash - beads I liked but didn't have a plan to use when I bought them - I just liked them at the time. They've remained in their drawers, waiting to be counted each year at tax time. Those troublesome beads went together quite beautifully, and I'm so happy with the results.
I have so much time left until the entry deadline that I'm thinking now I'll make a presentation box for it, something lined with velvet for the potential owner to store the necklace. Now that my work is done with this project, it's up to the judges to decide if it's good enough for the auction. *crossing fingers*
BTW, if you are interested in what my inspiration for this piece was, I found some images online of Afghani kuchi tribal bellydancer jewelry:
copyright 2010 Shibori Girl