Sunday, September 20, 2009

What's Cooking Sunday / Butternut Squash Soup

Fall is almost upon us, and that means the first pot of my favorite soup is simmering on the stove. God, the color, the smell, the texture... what's not to love about this fabulous recipe?


Butternut Squash Soup
Serves 4

1.5 T freshly grated ginger root
1/2 C chopped onion
3 T butter
4 C peeled, seeded butternut squash (about 1.5 pounds)
2 C chicken broth
1.5 C water
3 cloves garlic
2 T fresh lime juice to taste
lime slices for garnish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place squash in a pan and roast for 30 minutes. Take it out of the oven, prick it several times with a knife, turn it, and roast for another 30 minutes. Allow to cool. Peel, and cut into large pieces.

In large saucepan, cook onion and ginger in butter over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened.

Add squash, broth, water, and garlic. Bring to a boil, then simmer about 20 minutes until squash is soft. Puree and add lime juice. Serve hot or at room temperature. Mmmmm, Mmmmm, Gooood!

7 comments:

Gabriela said...

Hello Kate,

You are right...it looks delicious!




~ Gabriela ~

Snap said...

I love butternut squash soup. I have a recipe that adds apples, apple cider. I can almost smell it now! Aromatherapy of the best kind! :D

Rhonda Roo said...

KATE! You're reading my mind! The muffins last week-which have become another instant hit here in the house full of Lost Boys-and now this-my all time favorite soup in the history of soup ever!!!

I'm trying it. Oh, yes, I am.

(ok hum a little Mr Rogers Neighborhood here)

Wont you please wont you please, please wont you be my neighbor?

XOXOXOXOX Rhonda Roo

lori vliegen said...

i'm SO ready for soup weather (89 degrees here today)....and once it hits, i'm making this soup.....with some garlic bread crostini to to with it! mmmm... :))

Fete et Fleur said...

This looks scrumptious. When fall rolls around I love to bake spaghetti squash and then create a homemade pesto for it. It’s YUMMY!

Hugs!
Nancy

Faded Plains said...

I just love how you share these great recipes with us...sounds like another good one to try.

Isabel said...

My mom used to make this soupsince we were little kids. We called it the Little Yellow Soup (in Portuguese, of course).

The Little Yellow Soup became a favorite with my kids. I always have a batch ready, sometimes with carrots instead of the butternut squash, for when they come back from school, but I never tried it with ginger root. Now I HAVE to.

xox

Isabel