Sunday, December 20, 2009

What's Cooking Sunday / Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Marble Man and I found ourselves way ahead of the curve this year:

lists have been checked, and double-checked
gifts are wrapped and mailed
the tree is up

Lots of time left over for baking cookies. Marble Man has so many favorites, that I asked him to narrow his choices to two types.

His pick for this year:

Vera's Checkerboard Cookies



Chocolate Crinkles



Chocolate Crinkles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
makes 52 cookies

2 C plus 2 T all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C butter, room temperature
1+3/4 C granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 squares unsweetened baker's chocolate (1 ounce per square), melted
1/2 C confectioners' sugar

Mix flour baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar with electric mixer until fluffy.

Beat in eggs, one at a time until mixture is pale yellow, then vanilla and chocolate until blended.

Gradually add flour mixture, mixing just to blend. Refrigerate dough 1 hour.

Lightly grease cookie sheets. Shape heaping teaspoonfuls of dough into 1.25 inch balls and roll in confectioners' sugar. Place on cookie sheets 1.5 inches apart.

Bake about 12 minutes until tops are puffed and cracked. DON'T overbake! Cookies are quite soft when hot but firm and chewy when cool. Remove to rack to cool.

Per cookie:
80 calories
1 gram protein
12 grams carbs
3 grams fat
20 mgs cholesterol

Enjoy! (Just don't worry about that last part there. ;)



And while you toss some treats together for your family, here's a little Holiday fun to keep you company: Tennessee Ernie Ford singing for a group of children.



His son (sitting next to him) is so into the song that he has to really work to keep from cracking up.

Merry Christmas, Everyone!
~~~
And now for a short programming note: From now on, all my cooking posts can be found at my NEW blog. The new page is entirely devoted to cooking. I'm in the process of transferring all my old cooking posts over there.

It will be MUCH easier to organize the posts and for you to find an old one you might be looking for. I hope you'll add it to your blogroll and visit often. :)

copyright 2009 Shibori Girl

5 comments:

Snap said...

Great post! Yummy in the tummy! I love the video! Ho-Ho-Ho!!!

Gabriela said...

Hello Kate,

Oh my! I have a deal for you...
How about playing at my studio and then heading right to your place for a treat? Sounds good?

Happy Holidays!

And YES, I want to see what you made!
Photos, please! LOL!

~ Gabriela ~

T.Allen said...

Kate, I made chocolate crinkles last year and they were not only a hit for our bellies, but a feast for the eyes as well.

Good deal on being a head of the curve this year...that makes one of us! :D


Cheers!

rochambeau said...

The chocolate crinkle cookies sound great Kate. I am going to try your recipe, but maybe after the holidays.
Happy you finished you list and can have fun now!

xox
Constance

Rhonda Roo said...

When my family asked for cookies yesterday i flipped to this post LOL

they were impressed with you..not so amused with me. Hee.

Hey, my mom brought homeade biscotti and eggnog poundcake for petie's sake!

I'll have to check the other blog-eeks!

youre such a fun chick. ;-)
Maybe we'll just have to meet in 2010!!!

(no i am not just saying that to get my hands on your crinkles!)
(wait. you know what i mean. EEK!)
XOXOXOXOX