Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Power of Alternative Thinking

It's now Day 18 into the Battle of The Beadsmith 2013 and things are happening.

 Before I began stitching beads down, I had a drawing showing the basic layout of the components and how they should fit together.  After I finished a few of the pieces, I laid them out according to the drawing; these didn't fit properly at all. When one edge lined up, corners splayed out and looked awkward. The bottom piece was HUGE, not proportional with the top. Well, isn't this SPECIAL? Nope.

I pouted about this new wrinkle in my plan as I played with the pieces like a jigsaw puzzle. I moved them around, turned them on edge, upside down, etc. With each new configuration, I took pictures so I could  compare them side-by-side. A new plan took shape. This new arrangement is even more interesting than the original! How about that?

While this competition pits artists against each other, I'm learning that the real battle is with myself. Through the execution of my piece I have gained flexibility in my thinking. Once  upon a time, I would start work and couldn't envision any other way of proceeding. If the plans went awry, the unfinished piece went straight into the Project Graveyard. That can't happen this time: I made a commitment to participate and I have a deadline. I HAD to make it work somehow. The result? I have a piece, my best to date, which has tested my endurance and skill. If you asked me a year ago if I thought I would make something this dramatic, I would have laughed.

Now I'm designing the next eye-popping piece in my head.

I am still not allowed to post pictures of the Battle piece, but here's a little taste of what is on my work tray:


Until next time...

 copyright 2013 Shibori Girl

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Good to read your struggles Kate. I am glad the 'altered' piece is to your liking and even better than planned. Nice when that happens eh?
I do agree it is a way of discovering more about yourself and how you approach things. A metaphor for life maybe?

Lois Moon said...

I can't wait to see the piece.

Oh, the best laid plans. I'm on the 3rd re-do for a piece I'm making for my mom's birthday - it was last month! She was visiting and saw what I was working on and gave me all sorts of encouragement when she declared how much she loved the colors and design...maybe the re-dos are worth it!