Saturday, April 11, 2009

What’s Cooking Sunday: Crepes Suzette

We had such a lovely meal for our anniversary last weekend, including crepes Suzette, that I wanted to share this SUPER-easy Weight Watchers recipe with you. I love when dessert can be considered good for the body. Don’t you?



The crepes can be made in advance and frozen for future use. To freeze them, stack the cooled crepes, using a layer of wax paper between each to separate. Finish the stack with a piece of wax paper, and you can roll the stack into a tube. Wrap the whole thing in a Ziploc freezer bag. Freeze until needed. When ready to use, thaw at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.

Crepes Suzette:
Makes 4 servings, 2 crepes each

Crepes:
1 C skim milk
¾ C all purpose flour
2 eggs

Sauce:
2 T unsalted margarine (I use Smart Balance)
1 T granulated sugar
1 C orange juice
¼ C thawed frozen concentrated orange juice
2 T orange liqueur

To prepare the crepes: In blender container, combine milk, flour and eggs. Process until smooth. Let stand about 15 minutes to allow bubbles to subside.

Lightly spray 6 skillet or crepe pan with nonstick spray and heat. Pour ¼ C batter into pan and quickly swirl to cover the entire bottom of the pan. Cook over med-high heat about 30 seconds until the top looks dry. Carefully turn the pancake over and cook a few more seconds. Slide crepe onto a plate and repeat until you’ve made 8 crepes.

To prepare the sauce: In 12” nonstick skillet melt margarine. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Stir in juice, thawed concentrate, and liqueur and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.

To finish the dish: Add one crepe to skillet, coating both sides with sauce. Fold crepe in half, then again to create a triangle shape. Slide to the side of the skillet and repeat with remaining crepes. Serve immediately.

Nutritional info:
Per serving (2 crepes)
286 calories
8 grams protein
9 grams fat
40 grams carbohydrate
106 grams calcium
68 mgs sodium
138 mgs cholesterol

Happy Easter and Good Pesach, Everyone!

6 comments:

Snap said...

When I was growing up, my mother had a friend at work whose mother was Hungarian (Vicky). During the summer, I would spend lots of time with her. She spoiled me rotten and made all kinds of crepes for me. Yummm. Thanks for the wonderful recipe and the great memories!

rochambeau said...

Happy Easter Kate!
These crepes look Yum!

xox
Constance

lori vliegen said...

dessert? good for the body? i didn't know that such a thing existed...well, except for a piece of fruit, of course, but where's the fun in that?! i noticed the sugar and orange liqueur in this recipe...now you're talkin'!!

Happy Easter sweet friend! :)

Unknown said...

Those look delicious!

Hope you are having a fabulous weekend! :)

a fanciful twist said...

YUUUMMMMYYYYYY! I LOVE making crepes, they are so much fun!! xoxo

Isabel said...

Mmmmm....delicious! We make crepes Suzette all the time at my house. My kids are addicted. It is also our costume to make crepes the morning of every flight we take to Portugal on vacation. We eat them together and pack a few for the plane.
My son loves these so much that one day I got home from work and he had found the recipe and made about 30 of them ( I am not joking). He spent all morning in the kitchen.
Now, whenever he is home and hungry he calls me and says:
Mom, I'm making crespes. Oh well there goes my kitchen ;)
...but at least I have a few waiting for me when I get home plus a dirty kitchen.