Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I Feel Like Buffy

I feel like Buffy The Vampire Slayer this morning. My dental appointment was set for 8 AM, so I got to the waiting room early to try to settle down. This was my third visit to the Faculty Dental Practice office in the past two weeks. Having two good experiences under my hat definitely helped. While waiting for the first appointment, I felt like I was strapped to the tracks in the path of an oncoming train. Today, I saw the train coming, but knew it would stop in time.

Turns out one psych appointment wasn't quite enough to settle me down. The assistant took my pulse before the Dr started and it was revved up to 115. The Dr made sure that I'd tell him if I needed him to stop at any point. How nice is that, to feel like you have some sort of control? The exam lasted a full hour, and at the end I can say, there was no pain at all, and I have no additional work needed. Woot! So, I'm good for another six months, and hopefully by then I'll have a better handle on the meditation and can keep my pulse rate in control. I have another seven psych appointments planned to polish up my relaxation skill set.

I didn't slay the demon today, but I got a chain around its neck, wrestled it to the floor and kicked its ass. Next time, maybe I can stick a stake in its heart, Buffy-style. Thank you, everyone, who posted or wrote emails yesterday. Your encouragement and kind words mean so much to me.

copyright 2010 Shibori Girl

8 comments:

Doreen said...

Whoo Hoo, Kate! I knew you could do it!!! It's so great you didn't need any work done too! Make sure you keep flossing (or start, if you don't)...and keep those 6 month visits. It'll keep getting a bit easier each time. In the office I worked in, we would often give our anxious patient a mild sedative if they wanted it which would wear off near the end of the appointment time. That could be an option for you. Congratulations!! Hooray!!

lori vliegen said...

woo hoo......you go girl!!! i'm SO proud of you, kate! how wonderful to have that behind you now! here's to kicking that dragon's butt!! hugs, :)))

Snap said...

I KNEW you could do it! Good for you!

Christie Minchew said...

At first, when I saw "Buffy", I was thinking of that tv show in the 60s and there was a little girl named Buffy and I started picturing you with full head gear and braces or something...!!
I am soooo glad to hear it was the "Kate, The slayer of all things debilitating" :). Way to go looking the dragon in the eye and spitting in it!

DVArtist said...

Good for you!!! I am so proud of you for going through with it!!!!

Nicole/Beadwright

SharDon Exclusives said...

Kate, Oh, how I hate to go to the dentist. I cringe just at the word...I am so glad you got along okay and don't have to endure this for another six months. Way to go!
Sharon

somepinkflowers said...

good golly miss molly!
i have to go to the dentist
for terrible things all the time!

:-0

i am not even gonna scare you
here
but right now i have TONS of stitched in my mouth
holding in BONE GRAFTS.



i know!

the up side?

:-)

all the dental work bills
go on my Delta SkyMiles credit card
and when that is paid off,
i get a free flight every other year or so!

{{ how do you think i went
to Bacelona for free?
yep! reward points
from a dental implant! }}

never underestimate the power of good drugs, either.


BTW, SO happy
you did not need
any dental work done!
that might have set you WAY back...

good luck, missy!

Fred Collinsworth said...

Hi Kate. Glad you didn't have any work done. Before, just the thought of going to the dentist gives me shiver and cold sweat. I would try to avoid it as much as possible. But after finding about sedation dentistry (Scottsdale or any other areas) going to the dentist is now a breeze. I consider myself fortunate to have known about the Scottsdale dental center who helped me overcome my fears.

Hope your next dentist appointment will be without pain as well!