Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Author, Author...!

I've been kicking around this idea for a couple of years: I'm going to write a book. Whew! There..., I actually said it out loud. I don't know if it'll be a good book, but I'm going to try it.

Since my big injury back in 2005, I've been trying to find my new path. I'm unable to comfortably dye fabrics anymore, and basic sewing tasks make my hand pain flare up. I had to abandon my wearable art business just when it was getting on it's feet. Now, here I am attempting to resurrect the business with a jewelry focus.

In that summer of 2005, while recuperating from torn ligaments and a dislocated thumb, and in considerable pain, my dominant hand was immobilized in a rigid brace. I couldn't do much except lie on the sofa watching mind-numbing television, gorked on Vicodin. I actually found a picture that Marble Man took of me in this pathetic state, but I'm not posting it here - too sad!

As I struggled to climb the steep and slippery sides of the Pity Pot, my friends suggested things I could do to be productive. They pointed out I've taught myself a lot of art skills, and I should teach classes to pass them on to others. I know for a fact that I'm a terrible teacher with no patience. The next suggestion: "write a book describing your 'artistic journey'." I could tell stories of my travels from medium to medium, and why not end each chapter with a simple project the reader can do?

It feels strange, and downright narcissistic to be writing all about myself, but I'll keep at it. (I've got a whole two pages written now!) I don't know the right way to go about writing a book, shopping for publishers, etc. So I have a ton of research to do.

What do you think? Is this something you would want to read?... Honestly?

3 comments:

somepinkflowers said...

if you write it
they will read it,
or

something

maybe.

:-)

why not do it anyway?

why not write it
for yourself
and then see what happens?

i say----> go 4 it!

i like the idea
of a simple project
for each chapter.
then
your journey
from art*craft to art*craft
would be
the readers journey, too.

and you could show us THAT journey here

rochambeau said...

How exciting Kate! Yes do go for it!
Life is a journey. When we say yes, the right things happen. Where we end up is not always where we think we're going, BUT saying YES gets us on our life's journey!
GO FOR IT!!
xo
Constance

Just saw SPF said go 4 it too!

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

Go for it!!! How wonderful!!! YAY!!