Friday, July 04, 2008

Blueberry Corn Muffins




I had so many exclamations of "I've never heard of blueberry corn muffins!" at the tea party, that I thought I'd post the recipe here for anyone interested:

Blueberry Corn Muffins:

Makes 12
Preheat oven to 400 degrees

1-1/3 C all-purpose white flour
2/3 C yellow cornmeal
1 T baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 C blueberries, washed and stemmed
1 egg
2/3 C skim milk
1/2 C honey
3 T vegetable oil
1 tsp sugar

Spray muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.

In large bowl, stir or whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add the blueberries and toss to coat with flour mixture.

In smaller bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add the milk, honey, and oil, whisking until well combined.

Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Do NOT over-mix!

Divide the batter equally between the 12 muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Sprinkle the tops with sugar.

Bake 18-22 minutes, until risen and golden. Turn onto a baking rack to cool.

169 calories
4 grams fat
143 mg sodium
18 mgs cholesterol

Note: If using frozen blueberries, don't thaw them. Just rinse off ice crystals and pat dry. Toss separately with 3 T of the flour and stir in after liquid is added.

**These muffins go stale very quickly, but then taste fabulous cut in half, toasted, and spread with some sweet butter.

5 comments:

Mandy Saile said...

Hi Kate,
Thanks so much for your comment today, it made my day and I am so glad to here that you'll visit again soon, that means alot. Yes, that day was perfection...today is similar but I am spending it instead in my studio so the bunnies are out on the deck on their own...still everyone's happy, ha ha:D Be Well, Mandy Saile of Bijou's Whimsy.

Laura Irrgang said...

OH, yum! How unusual. I had something sort of similar once---cream of corn ice cream. It sounded hideous, but it was really intersting and good. Creamy and just a teeny bit 'corn-like'.

rochambeau said...

Sounds YUM Shibori Girl,
This sound good to try. Thank you for sharing your recite!!!
xox
Constance

TheMagicBartender said...

Hi Kate,
It sounds to me like you would liked those Chesapeake Bloody Marys better with a plain vodka though! The Old Bay on the rim is yummy huh? Did you add any seafood?

Well, you know, you'll have to make another, just to take a pic 4 me!
But, you don't have to drink it though! LOL
No peer pressure here! ROFL
;-D

But, I'm GLAD it was a hit for you! Stay in touch!
Cheers, Sue `*>~[

Anonymous said...

Oh dear I love corn muffins and those blueberry ones look divine. MMMM :-) I just gotta try the recipe.