Friday, May 01, 2009

Let's Get This Party Started!



To celebrate May Day, my best friends, my Ya-Ya's, met to make faerie gardens. It turned into a birthday celebration for Debbie and me (our Special Day's are one day apart in the middle of May). We had a three-flavored birthday cake with cream cheese frosting





and gin-and-tonic lollipops!



To drink we all had a ruby red grapefruit/apple juice/vanilla concoction.



Yowzah! It was all so good - I took a tiny detour off my diet for this celebration, and I'm so glad I did.
~
For the gardens, we all brought low planters and our hostess provided some plants to share. Others brought things to decorate: sea shells, crafty items, broken pottery shards, etc. Then we got down to it and had a blast.



Some were simple and spare. Faeries can frolic in a field of moss in this little garden...



Toadstools and picket fences make good garden features...



A rockery with a dainty pool... See the little tart form with blue beads glued around the edge?



A birdbath is transformed into a lovely park with a faerie swing...



A faerie can always use a welcome sign and some bling! See the little rhinestone hair clips in the soil?



My faerie garden has a birdbath made from a scallop shell glued to a wooden spool, and a tiny silver faerie sunning herself while perched on a moon shell. a little trail of river rocks and shells meanders throughout the garden. A tiny potted plant is off to the side:



Thanks to all my favorite ladies for a lovely birthday party and May Day celebration! You're the best.

13 comments:

Snap said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! Thank you for sharing your YaYa's and your celebrations with us. Gin and tonic lollipops ... now that sounds like its right up my alley! ;D What about the grapefruit concoction? I love grapefruit. Cake is nice, too!

somepinkflowers said...

your BIRTH*day?
how did i miss that?

:-0

man,
you just HAD a BIRTH*day...
oh
wait
wait wait...

that was LAST year...
{{ never mind my shock }}

:-)

H
A
P
P
Y
Birth*day
dear
Shibori Kate.

may all your Special Days
be filled with faerie gardens
and three~flavored cake
and best friends...

{{ and gin-and-ton lollipops }}
oh happy day to you,
my friend!

Fete et Fleur said...

Happy Birthday!! It looks like you had a wonderful time. What a great way to celebrate May Day!

Hugs!
Nancy

Unknown said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! And wow, your day sounds like my dream day. Looks like you had a blast and those gardens are the cutest things ever.

When I was little, my mom gave me the entire side yard which I spent HOURS turning into a fairy garden. I even collected sticks and doll house nails and built houses and churches. I miss that garden!!

I will definitely gather some goodies to make a fairy garden with my daughters. How fun!!!

lori vliegen said...

your little faerie gardens turned out so cute...and how much fun was that to get together with your yayas and do some celebrating?!! your cake looks delish (i'm so happy for you that you allowed yourself to enjoy a bite or two, or however many it took to finish it!) and your drinkies sound devine! girlfriend times are the best times! happy birthday, sweet friend! :)

Cecile/DreamCreateRepeat said...

What a fun celebration...thanks for sharing! Happy birthday and many, many more!!

Faded Plains said...

Happy Birthday! It looks like you guys had a wonderful time. Those little gardens are sooo cute...I'll have to try making one of those cuties! By the way, chickens were our first farm animal...and they have been so much fun to have...and don't require a lot of care.

3rdEyeMuse said...

what a wonderful day that was!!! EVERYTHING looks and sounds so wonderful ... I LOVE the idea of making faerie gardens with the chicka's I love ... I just might have to throw my very own faerie garden party!!

Happy soon-to-be Birthday!!

a fanciful twist said...

Oh, I love parties!! Wish I had really been there!!!! And a birthday coming up?? Celebrate every day of May, okay??? xoxo

rochambeau said...

Happy Early Birthday Kate!!
What a great celebration you, Debbie & the YaYa's had!!
Adore this excellent idea of a three tiered cake with different layers..YUM...something for everybody. ;-)
AND your fairy gardens!! This is really nice that you all did a cool thing together!!! Especially like the way yours turned out, with that little spool birdbath!!
AND Gin and Tonic lollies?
What's not to like?
Can a birthday celebration get any better?

Xox
Constance

Isabel said...

What a fantastic party! Happy birthday Kate! Everything looks yummy, especially that 3 tier cake. And those gardens are whimsical and so full of life.
So lad you had this much fun on your birthday :)

Unknown said...

What a fun party! Happy Birthday to you, Kate! That looks like a fun event! Everything looks delicious (food-wise, lol) and the mini-gardens are darling!

T.Allen said...

Such pleasant company...everyone should have a few Ya Ya's! Happy birthday, Kate!